Saturday, November 12, 2011

Thinking About Standards...


Standard 8.1 Educational Technology:  All students will use digital tools to access, evaluate, and synthesize information in order to solve problems individually and collaboratively and to create and communicate knowledge.

Standard 9.1 21st-Century Life and Career Skills: All students will demonstrate the creative, critical thinking, collaboration, and problem-solving skills needed to function successfully as both global citizens and workers in diverse ethnic and organizational cultures.
    •  Critical Thinking and Problem Solving 
    • Creativity and Innovation 
    • Collaboration, Teamwork, and Leadership  
    • Cross-Cultural Understanding and Interpersonal Communication 
    • Communication and Media Fluency 
What does it mean to "prepare" students for the 21st century exactly? I think the State of New Jersey hit the nail on the head with the "5 C's" outlined above in cross-curricular standard 9.1. No matter what subject area you teach, or where you teach for that matter, education is so much more than just learning math, science or literature. Education is learning how to think critically about things, how to innovate, how to work on a team, how to communicate to other people and how to become fluent in the many forms of media available.

This is where we educators can bring in Standard 8.1 regarding Educational Technology. If we can effectively bring technology into our classroom in a way that not only teaches our subject, but causes them to think critically about technology, we are "teaching" them 21st Century Skills. While the use of technology is definitely a great skill to have in the 21st Century, what good is it if we cannot analyze, innovate and question forms of technology?

2 comments:

  1. Justin, you found something very interesting here. This definitely gives an example of what we need to be doing as educators. As you said, we will not only be teaching them science, math, literature, etc., but also how to think for themselves. We are essentially teaching our students material, and also how to live in the world outside of school. As you said, how can someone function in our society today if they cannot analyze or question technology? It is definitely a hard job, but it is our responsibility in the end. I know for a fact that two of my teachers in high school did this, especially my Graphics Arts teacher that I had had for four consecutive years. He watched me come in as a little shy freshman and develop into the young lady I was when I graduated. I am partially who I am because of him and my senior Calculus I teacher. I hope to be as great as they are some day, and help my students succeed in life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Justin I am glad you decided to make a blog post about standards. Prior to this class I had little experience using standards and to tell the truth I relented the idea of them. I always felt standards were another way to standardize our students and crush any hope of creativity in my classroom. I see now that they are just a guide and allow the teacher to be as creative as he or she wants. For instance standard 9.1 encompass general but life and career skills we need to teach our students. Like you, I agree all five indicators are essential for a student's social and academic development and I enjoy that they allow the teacher to create a lesson with free reign that promotes such standards as they see fit.

    ReplyDelete