Saturday, December 3, 2011

Timeline of Classroom Technology

The Globe and Mail out of Canada has a very interesting timeline of technology in the classroom. It starts off with BCE technologies, like the papyrus, abacus and quill pen and culminates with modern technologies like the iPad and the "Flipped Classroom", which was a totally new concept to me. I was very much intrigued by the idea of students watching lectures online at home and having class time used instead for one-on-one practice with the teacher.

Other highlights of the timeline for me which were somewhat math-related include the overhead projector (which I just used substantially in a lesson I taught), calculator and the interactive white board. I was also fascinated to read the description of the Personal PC:
When 17 Ontario high schools were hooked up with 8-by-10-inch computer screens and monitors, Douglas Penny, then director of the research and evaluation branch at the province’s Ministry of Education, found it necessary to dispel fears that computers would replace math teachers.
The most interesting part of that to me is no doubt the fear of computers replacing math teachers. As we know, this has definitely not been the case. Not only have personal PCs not replaced teachers, but I think they have served as an excellent tool in the classroom for instruction. They allow the teacher to integrate multiple learning styles through a choice of interactive programs and visual/audio representations, as well as bring real-life programs and models into the classroom that would not have otherwise been possible.

1 comment:

  1. Justin, I too found the "Flipped Classroom" interesting and new. Again, I still feel strongly about teachers presenting the concepts and materials to students in a face-to-face environment, but this is definitely an intriguing idea. Although, I do not really like that the lessons are from YouTube, maybe something along these lines can work for the future. Possibly having the teacher explain different concepts in class, to introduce them to the topic, and then have them watch some "better" form of video lessons at home. Then the teacher can follow-up with the students in class the next day and do class discussions, as well as, the one-on-one method. I still fell shaky about it, but maybe soon enough we will be experiencing many newer and "better" technologies in education. It is hopeful that they aid the education world and not hurt it. Great find...I found some interesting things in the timeline!

    ReplyDelete